The Positive Behavior Intervention Support Team (PBIS)
Introducing, modeling and reinforcing positive social behavior is an important part of a student’s educational experience. Teaching behavioral expectations in all areas of the school and recognizing students for following them is our goal. The purpose of school-wide PBIS is to establish and maintain a positive school climate.
Oregon City School District adopted the PBIS initiative in the Fall of 2004. All 9 of our elementary schools, both middle schools, and our high school have been implementing PBIS since the 2004-05 school year.
PBIS in OCSD is organized around 5 major systems:
- District level support system
- Proactive school-wide reward and discipline systems
- Classroom and behavior management systems
- Targeted group interventions
- Assessment based individualized student interventions
To maintain sustainability of the PBIS initiative, the district has established the following:
- District level support
- District-wide PBS Coordinator
- School based Student Support Teams
- Monthly Team Leader meetings (PBIS and iteam)
- On-going school and district-wide training and staff development
For more information visit PBIS.org